The Visual6502 Project began with a desire to inspire and educate people about the wonders hidden deep inside their computers. Our online museum and interactive visualization technology have allowed us and the greater public to preserve, study, and collaborate to discover many exciting things about early computer technology. We're very eager to develop better educational material and to collaborate with various institutions and groups toward this end.
Here are some general resources we've found:
- The Elements of Computing Systems:Building a Modern Computer from First Principles book and website by Noam Nisan.
- also the video "From Nand to Tetris In 12 Steps"
- SimCom an in-browser simple computer by Peter Hewitt
- the intro page
- Introduction to Vlsi Systems (book) by Mead and Conway (see also wikipedia)
- Structured Computer Organization (book) by Andrew S. Tanenbaum
- With an OLPC XO-1 you can program from the metal up using Open Firmware
Others are listed on the links page of our website.