We're all about reverse-engineering popular chips from the 70's and 80's - initially the 6502 but others too. This wiki is for documenting our findings and recording our sources, and is of course a work in progress.
To navigate this wiki, please see
Projects and status
Here's the state of play of the chips we're most actively working on. (See also the wiki index for exploration.)
- MOS 6502 CPU: Our flagship project: we have several pages of findings and many pointers to other resources. We started from photos and now have a full transistor level netlist with transistor sizes, and of course our in-browser simulator.
- Atari 10444D TIA (Television Interface Adaptor): fully extracted and simulated, no data yet published.
- Pictures and story on our main site.
- Atari ANTIC: layout is in the process of polygon capture or netlist extraction.
Primary data not yet published, but see these threads.
- Zilog Z80 CPU: We have photographs of the metal layer, and have started capturing the polygons. No public information yet.
- Motorola 68000: We have photographs of the metal layer, and have started capturing the polygons.
The project page contains die photo and shows areas being captured. This chip will need further deprocessing and photography for the lower layers.
- MOS 6522 VIA: pictures and story on our main site.
- Nintendo 3193A support chip pictures and story on our main site.
- Sinclair Spectrum ULA: photographed, circuit manually captured, original sources not presently public.
See Chris Smith's excellent book for ULA background and lots of detail about the Spectrum ULA
- Acorn Electron ULA: photographed and stitched, nothing online yet
- Acorn Tube ULA: we have a 'spare' chip, decapsulated and ready for microphotography
We have a number of other chips, including some generous donations, all in the queue to be reverse engineered:
- Chips in our collection including links to other similar projects.
- Original high-resolution stitches, as well as the original chip photos, can be found on our stitch repository.
Contributing to this wiki
Please see our policy page before making contributions